Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Got eggs?


Have you ever gone to cook something and realized you were missing an ingredient? That happened to me when I went to make Tom's birthday cookie-cake last night. He was at work (thus the reason I was working on his cake) and I did not want to load the baby into the car for the 2 eggs I was lacking. I know, I know... I should have planned better, but I though I would have what I needed since I planned a menu/shopping list ahead. I guess we used too many eggs in the last 2 weeks. But back to the story... so I did not want to load up the baby and go to the store at 7pm for 2 measly eggs. I searched online for substitutions, but they all either sounded complex or called for things I didn't have. One called for 3 tablespoons of mayo per egg. Ick! However, I had plain yogurt which has a similar texture, so I gave it a try. Well, I baked it today and it turned out fine! If you ever don't have eggs for your cookies feel free to try yogurt (probably not in a crazy fruity flavor unless that flavor sounds yummy in cookies to you, I guess). I can't say if it would work in other things, like cake because I haven't tried, but in cookies it's a winner! So for future notice.....

1 egg = 3 tablespoons plain yogurt

is a decent substitution in cookies.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great idea! Thanks! I've also been in that same situation, and found online that 2 TB cornstarch per egg works too! It's true!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails